Off Broadway (and sometimes Broadway) Reviews and Information.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Upcoming: Scandalous

A new Broadway show is coming up, Scandalous.  It is the story of Aimee Semple McPherson, an Evangelical leader of a church in Los Angeles.  If you read Wikipedia, you can read all about the late Aimee Semple.
.
But for me, a born and bred Angelino, it is the stuff of legends.  The huge church (built in 1923) still stands in Echo Park.  Eddie and I have driven by it.  Rumor has it (although it doesn't say anything about this in Wikipedia) that at some point she had the seats wired so that at appropriate times the worshipers would get a little electrical jolt to "feel the power of God".
.
She had multiple love affairs, marriages and staged a fake kidnapping (by "Mexicali Rose"!), all the while building a church from the ground up that has over 8 million members!  I mean she is LA all the way!
.
Yes, I have my tickets.
.
Her church in Echo Park.

Postcard of the church from the 1930
Current view of the church with (I assume) new ficus trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment