Off Broadway (and sometimes Broadway) Reviews and Information.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tony Nominations

Well, it isn't Off-Broadway, but the Tony nominations are out...
.
There are some Off-Broadway transfers up for big Awards.
.
Next Fall is up for Best Play. I haven't seen it yet (I KNOW!), but I will have to make the trip very very soon.
.
Sherie Rene Scott is up for Best Lead Actress in a Muscial for the same role in Everday Rapture that was at the 2nd Stage last year.
.
But for me, the biggest surprise was the HUGE nomination haul for Ragtime. A show that opened and closed while I was on Christmas Vacation in Palm Springs! The Nomination Committee must have LOVED it. It took a Best Revival of a Muscial spot I thought would go to Promises Promies. Sean Hayes was the only major nomination for Promises Promises, it surprised me that Kristen Chenowith wasn't nominated.
.
.
As for the "Best Original Musical", all the nominees have been greated with mixed reactions by viewers. My hope goes out to American Idiot, which- like the Love Boat - is exciting and new. Memphis and The Million Dollar Quartet - ehhh. As for Fela, it has gotten the best and the worst reactions I have ever heard. Some people love the shake-your-booty-along, and some feel that it is to cult like. Addams Family was left out (no surprise) and Come Fly Away was left out (yay! - it's not a muscial if you play pre-recorded Sinatra to me). In the "Best New Play" catagory, no Enron nomination did surprise me (although again - mixed reviews).
.
My favorites (not projected winners, just my favorites)...
Sherei Rene Scott : Lead Actress in a Musical
Jude Law: Lead Actor in a Play (for Hamlet)
Little Night Music: Best Revival of a Muscial
.

No comments:

Post a Comment